Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cats and Dogs as surrogate children, in the mean time...


For those of you who are pet owners and animal lovers, I think you know what I mean in my title. Pets can begin to feel like children, and at least for me, raising a puppy and a kitten during the last year, has helped stave off the yearnings for a human baby. With my puppy Ralph, I would spend the night sleeping next to his crate, when I first brought him home, so that he wouldn't be scared. When Ralph broke his leg, I stayed on the couch to make sure he was okay on his tranquilizers. Every morning and every night and throughout the day, I constantly have to attend to Ralph. It is good training or a good introduction, in having another being be dependent on you.

Then there is also, the extreme pleasure in cuddling with my kitten Isa or having Ralph fall asleep on my lap, while I am knitting or watching TV. Until I have the pleasure of having a human baby, my animal babies will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great photo! They're definitely like kids - in some ways better and others a good deal worse. :)

    ReplyDelete